From:
Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:37:37 -0500
>From:    Rene Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I got a return call finally... the next day, after I had called the office
>again!  Is it me?  Is this common practice amongst veterinarians?  Do I
>have a right to be upset that I didn't receive a return call?  Am I going
>crazy?

I absolutely know how frustrating it is to be waiting for a vet's call
when you are worried about your fuzzies (try having a ferret in intensive
care and waiting for updates)--but I also know how hard it is for the vets
to find the time to return calls.  From watching my own vets (well, the
ferrets' vets, not mine ;) I know that they put in very long days doing
very hard work, sometimes emotionally draining work even if they have to
maintain a professional demeanor about it.  I have no doubt that they
_want_ to return all phone calls, but sometimes there just aren't enough
hours in the day, and nobody's perfect.  Also, while vets are there to
help animals, they also need to make a living and need to focus on the
paying patients who are in the office.

I have been known to make a vet appointment when I really just needed to
talk to the vet--since I've been living with ferrets with insulinoma
and/or lymphoma for about the past two and a half years, extra checkups
never hurt and it gives me a chance to talk at leisure with the vet.  You
mentioned that this vet is some distance away, so getting there is
difficult--maybe if a similar situation comes up again you could make an
appointment for a phone call.  In other words, get your phone call on the
vet's schedule at a set time, and be understanding if you need to pay
something for it, because you are using time that could be used by a
patient in the office.  That's just my two cents, from the point of view
of someone with a tendency to hero-worship vets :)

Regina