From:
Josephine Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:17:10 PST
Hi Everyone!  well, I've been voluntering at the shelter here 2-3 days a
week, cleaning, playing, picking up rescue baby etc, and of course
ferret-math hit, 2 days ago i brought a little ferret girl home, to Liza
and Truls, i am keeping her separated for now, and supervising their play
and introduction to each other, I think it is going to work out great,
Truls loved her at first sight, he is such a gentleman and she dooks like
crazy, her name from the shelter is Lucky, (not so lucky to be dealing with
Liza though......) she is a chubby baby,( with the fattest cutest tail)
approx.  1 year i heard but i think she is younger, and she looks like an
oppossum baby, she klings on the shoulder as if she was afraid of heights,
lies flat with her head down and spreads all four paws, and holds on with
her claws, she is a light sable with darker face marks, her mask gives her
a sad expression, she doesn't move a muscle when being carried, but when i
put her down she takes off dooking, she wobbles away and then back
again,and around, and she loves Truls, they play in a nice and gentle way,
he even draged her ohhh soooo gentle and slow!  Liza on the other hand is
very rough, and extremely hyper, after smelling Lucky for a minute, she
took off and went throug Luckys cage and toys, she took all the goodies out
of Luckys foodbowl and hid them under the couch, and then went to tell
Lucky who the boss is, Liza's tail was like a bottle brush, and she got a
hard grip of Luckys neck and really shook her.  (Lucky screamed)i separated
them and it only took a minute for this to happen again.  Now, i know this
is not unusuall, and i don't doubt that it will work out eventually,
because after i separate them, Liza will take of wardancing, so it seems
she is only half aggressive, but Liza is very hyper and intense, and poor
Lucky is constantly running to get away from her, so i guess my question
is, and please don't flame me for this... would it be OK to give Liza
something to calm her a little, before letting them out together?  I don't
want Lucky to becomme terryfied of Liza, i just want to slow Liza down a
little untill she gets familiar with Lucky, and bring them to the same
level of endurance, Please give me advice!  I don't want to do anything or
give her anything unless i know it is absolutely safe and harmless, right
now i am just giving Liza time-out when she becommes to violent, but i feel
that apart from just delaying the process i dont want Liza to becomme
jeaulous, and resent Lucky for the time-outs, on the other hand i don't
want to brake Lucky's spirit by submitting her to torture, i am very
determined that this will be a happy ferret family in the end, no matter
what, i believe every animal is workable, but is it OK to trick Lizas
senses?  will it even pay off?  knowing Lizas persistence this could take a
while to resolve.  Oh, and if you have name suggestions they are most
welcome too

Thank's
Josephine and the Sweetiest Meanie Beanie in the world Liza
My Most Adorable Speed Bump Truls (also flying leaping He-Man)
and  Honey Bumble Bee Lucky (or not)