From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 00:12:32 -0400
Ridiculous! I don't know what's going on in New Zealand, but I'm quite
sure that banning snakes won't lead to banning dogs, cats, and ferrets
in the U.S. Based on what you are saying, maybe we shouldn't ban lions,
tigers, or other wild cats either.

But forget about humans' feelings and desire for pets; look at it from
the animal's point of view. Ferrets are domesticated and they interact
with people. It's easy to find ways to enrich their lives and make sure
they have a good time on this earth. We can take them places, play lots
of games with them, teach them things, and let them explore.

I love snakes. I think they are beautiful and do find them "cute".
Some have great faces, BUT what kind of life do they have stuck in an
aquarium every day 24/7? They don't really play with their humans, you
can't take them places, and you can't really enrich their lives in any
significant way. All they have is their ability to slither around free
and hunt for their own live prey. I'm not sure what kind of laws there
should be, but for the sake of the snake, I really don't think people
should have them as pets.