From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 07:34:47 -0400
>From:    Betty <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Perpetual Diarrhea/Need Help
>There have been a number of post recently about ferrets who have had have
>one bout of diarrhea after another.

Hi--

Among other treatments is Tylan.  It is low level antibiotic that is used
to treat diarreah in dogs, cats and ferrets.  It stops the diarreah, and
helps stimulate the appetite.

I use this in conjuction with vet treatment and meds.  I don't use it in
place of a diagnosis.

In my experience, it knocks out symptoms of diarreah immediately.  I've
been told that used on old ferrets who would probably of ECE, it "cured"
them in 3-4 days.

You can also treat symtoms of diareah with Pepcid AC and Immodium AD.
Unlike Pepto, niether doesn't have a bad taste and you don't need to
worry about it being spit out as much.

Pepcid is used to treat stomache acid which can lead to ulcers.  Mix 1
crushed tablet with 10 cc of water and administer 1 cc of the liquid
solution 2X daily.

Immodium AD stops diarreah.  Mix 1 crushed tablet with 10 cc of water and
administer 1cc 1x every 2 days.

Download Ferret Central's ECE faq for treatments of diarreah.  and
verification of the doses I've listed.

KG
Celtic Ferrets
Columbus, OH