From:
Pam VanOverloop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 13:20:27 -0400
I want to thank everyone who wrote such encouraging responses to my post
about my semi-rescue named Bruno.  This is my first experience taking in an
adult ferret.  All my other ferrets were acquired as kits and were raised
with lots of TLC by my children and me.  They are very sweet (the ferrets,
not the kids <G>) and rarely nip.  I was not so sure I was doing the right
thing bringing a big boy with a reputation as a "biter" into our home.

Some of my initial concerns were put to rest right away.  Bruno was accepted
100% by all 6 of our fuzzbutts, no fighting at all.  He made himself right at
home in the big cage - the hammock sure sags when he climbs on board!  I
don't think he's ever slept in a soft bed before.  He sleeps with such a look
of bliss - sometimes he's the last one out of bed at playtime.  There was no
problem switching his food, except that he eats a LOT - I'm going to have to
really stock up on Totally Ferret.<G>    He also loves Ferretone, which made
his first manicure easy.   His litterbox hit rate IN the cage is 100%, (not
hard to do considering  there are four litter boxes in there), and he prefers
the bathroom tile instead of the carpet when he is outside the cage - I wish
all of my gang were that considerate!

Now with time and TLC I hope to overcome the next hurdle.  He still flinches
and sometimes grabs at hands when we reach for him.  I have to supervise him
very closely around my children.  His bites are not vicious, just STRONG!
But when I watch him run through tubing play chase and when I see him
sleeping curled up underneath a few fuzzy pals, I think I did the right
thing.  I only hope that in time we come to trust each other a little more.

Thanks for all your support,
PamV and Rascal, Snookums, CocoaPuff, BlondieBoy, Little Dickens, SnowToes
and Bruno