From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 13:02:56 -0400
Chiming in on the discussion....

Have used all sorts of contraptions at FACT over the years.

Barrier Materials:
1) Presswood is fine for temporary use - however, ferrets like to poop
near anything that looks like a door - thus over time, the base of the
wood begins to smell and nothing will clean it. BUT, it's cheap and
easy to use.

2) Ditto for heavy cardboard. But usually free.

3) Clear acrylic is the best. For those who prefer to not let ferrets
see through, there are frosted versions. But generally they are thin
and very easy to break.

Height: Oldsters are okay with 22" tall. Youngsters generally need
taller - I've gone to 28" but sometimes going over 24" will increase
the barrier material cost. What I now do (and my shins have thanked me
for this!), is take a kid's pool "noodle", slice it along the length
and pop it on top of the barrier. First, it helps strengthen the
barrier a bit, and second, does help the bumps and bruises one gets
climbing over carrying ferret laundry and trying NOT to step on all
the helpers waiting on the other side.

Warning - some youngsters can grab hold of the noodle and use it to
climb up. There is a solution to that as well - I have covered mine
with colorful or coordinating fabric tucked over and around the noodle
(either the round or squared off type). It does also help with the
decor if you are not into neon yellow or hot pink. :)

Securing to doorway:
I used the screw/nail in doorway approach before. Couple of problems.
Wack the barrier hard and I've had them snap - which can get pricey on
acrylic replacements. Okay with pressboard or masonite, but again, the
smell factor erupts eventually (even when I tried covering the bottom
with vinyl paper).

What I finally found after wandering Home Depot for inspiration, was
vinyl siding channel molding which is a u-shape plastic. It is easy
to poke three or 4 holes into the base of the u and screw the molding
into each side of the doorway. The barrier then slips inside each
channel. What is nice about this for me, is I have the molding go
about 15 inches higher than the barrier. With the noodle on top of
my 22" barrier, it is fine for my elderly ferrets. I and the cat (and
dog) can get over easily. Yet, when I baby sit young demons who treat
22" as a walk in the park, I can slip an additional 10" barrier right
on top which is held from falling down by the noodle, and adds that
extra height that keeps youngsters from midnight marauding through the
house. :) It is also enough to keep my dog out when I am not home. Not
that he would bother the ferrets, but a bowl of ferret food can be
irresistible to a beagle when his mom isn't around :) ---

What is also very good about the channel molding is that is has give.
When I've stumbled carrying that laundry, trying not to step on a
ferret, with a cat trying to get through first, the barrier will go
down without breaking either the barrier or the u-molding. I KNOW it's
saved me a broken ankle on more than one occasion - and when the dog
misses the leap, the barrier goes down and nothing and no one gets
hurt.

One last advantage - I have a 4" archway between my dining room
and the kitchen where the ferrets live. The channel molding/acrylic
barrier/fabric covered noodle top works there as well. The clear
acrylic at least keeps a 'semblence of normalcy to my otherwise ferrety
house. Interestingly, the dog does not jump that particular barrier.
What I've learned is that some animals (one of my cats included) would
not jump the clear barrier. Yet the dog and cat would jump the narrower
one. Go figure! :)
--------

So far, that's the result of over 25 years of trying to keep one step
ahead of hundreds of ferrets we've cared for! Hope some of you find
some useful info for your situation.

Ann Gruden
Ferret Association of Connecticut