From:
Diane Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 00:12:27 -0400
I found the message on the Ferret Store Board.  I'll cut and paste it here:

Posted By: Eileen (wks-65-27-33-205.kscable.com)=20
Date: 5/15/01 10:08 p.m.=20

A friend at work told me today she heard on the radio that the Humane
Society had ferrets in.  She told me this at 9 am and they didn't open
until 11 am.  I was jumping out of my skin!!  At 11, I take off of work (I
have wonderful co-workers)and run down there as soon as it opened.  They
had two, and the adoption fee was only $55.  They had been found and no
one claimed them.  Sounded good to me.  When we went to visit, the albino
female came straight to the worker, another good sign.  But after a minute,
he started bitting me.  Not the playful nipps that Nova gives me all the
time, a mouth-open-and-all-teeth-to-the-skin kind of bite, and repeatedly.
Didn't break the skin though.  When we went to get the other, the worker
got an even harder bite on the finger, and then the ferret shook his head
while still having a hard grip.  We didn't take him out of the cage.  I
feel fairly certain that since they are about 1 1/2 yrs old, they can
overcome their bitting with the right owner.  Unfortunatly, since I have
small children, I am not the right owner.  I was ready to bring them home,
but realized that they would both do better in a home without children.  I
think they were well taken care of before they got lost, their coat was
very soft.  I feel bad for them at the Humane soicety without a good place
to run around, and not much human interaction.  I really hope they find a
good home soon.  If anybody out there without young kids would like two
young females, they are waiting for a home in Wichtia KS."

That's the end of the message.  My comment: I wonder if the poor things
were hungry or scared, and that's why they were biting.  I've gotten
rescues before who bit at first and once they were settled in, they stopped
biting, except for light play-biting.  I hope someone can give them a good
home.  Also, I don't know how long the Humane Society will hold onto them.
Some places may just consider them "problem" ferrets and put them to sleep,
so I believe time is of the essence on this one.  Thanks.