From:
"Matthew a.k.a. Krazy Kritter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:43:34 -0500
DISTEMPTER WARNING for the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

This morning I got a call from a lady wanting to surrender her ferret.  It
was given to her and was sick and she doesn't have the money to care for
it.  When I arrived I immediatley suspected distempter.  Upon examination
by Dr. Kendrick, Bowen Rd Animal Clinic, my fears was confirmed and put to
sleep immediately.  This ferret as told by the owner was 10 weeks old but
was more like 6 weeks.  It was purchased by a "breeder" in the Alverado
(south of Arlington/Mansfield) area.  At the time of purchase the owner
reported seening a sick ferret but was told that it wasn't contagious.

To compound the issue this ferret was seen by a "ferret knowledgeable" vet
in the Arlington, TX area and was treated with antibiotics and eye drops
for the obvious symptom of custing on the eyes and paws.  That was TWO
weeks ago!!!  Today the little jill was laid to rest, released from her
misery from the completely crusted over skin from top to bottom.

Please, Please, Please, vaccinate.  If you are unsure about vacination
history, see your vet immeidatley.  Once you get canine distemper the is
little anyone can do.

Matthew a.k.a. Krazy Kritter

Kozy Kingdom Ferret Rescue http://kozykingdom.com
VP of Computer Resources, FLC of TX http://texasferret.org