From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 05:45:49 -0400
>I know this is utterly against most of what I have read, but my ferts
>always come back home (if I don't catch them first) when they escape. A
>few years ago I read about someone here on the forum who let her ferts
>run loose and they came and went in and out with the dogs. Also someie
>told me about a vet who had ferts that did the same. For both sets of
>ferts, that was a normal situation their people allowed them ferts to
>do this, and there were no bad cnnsequenses.

I once took in a stray. When the owners were found, they told me that
they let the ferret out every day with the cats. They hung out all over
the neighborhood (which is how the ferret was picked up by a neighbor)
together and came home at night. They were told at the pet store that
they were like cats! They ended up surrendering the ferret since they
were pretty clueless about them.....obviously.

Not something I would recommend, but it does happen. This particular
case turned out well, but I wouldn't count on it.

Katharine