From:
Angie Reigelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 17:19:30 -0400
O.k lets start out with the basic definition of a Maggot: common name for
any wormlike larva of a fly,especially the larva of those flies that lay
there eggs in decaying materials, such as carrion.  The material furnishes
heat for the hatching eggs and food for the newly hatched maggots.  In other
words flies are laying there eggs in something that is rotting in your
ferrets cage, most likely poop, or food.

I'm not a vet by any means, but this is definitly not a healthy situation!
Where do you have your ferrets located?  Please remove them from this area
immediately.  Your babies could get very sick from living in conditions,
such as what you have explained to us.  Make sure you use a disinfectant,
and please rinse very well.  I use a product called Critter Fresh, wich they
boast is ferret approved!  It is made by Mardel Labs Inc.  I do not have
there number, but will post it when I get a hold of it.  Clorox will also
work well, but you must rinse it very well ( yes I relize I repeat myself :)

Scoop there litter pan(s) daily, twice is your best bet!  Also watch what
you feed them, for instance, canned catfood left in there would also cause a
problem like this, treats, anything that has the ability to rot within a
four hour (or less) span of time.  Please do something about this, I'm sure
other FMLer's will also have there opinons :) to share with you.

Dooks and Kisses,
Angie, Bueller and the Brat Pack