From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 02:44:07 -0400
>We recently adopted a kitten and have found it difficult to find kitten
>toys that are okay for the ferrets to play with, too.  Everything has
>catnip in it.  Does anyone know if catnip is harmful to ferrets?

You can find things like bell balls or polar fleece toys with bells
through The Ferret Store.  We do not tend to be worried by catnip,
ourselves.  In 20 years with ferrets we have heard of one ferret who
reacted to catnip.  If one showed signs of reacting then we'd take action
with our own toys here, but meanwhile we've never personally encountered
a problem.

Be careful not to get latex or rubber toys, though, or ones that come
apart easily and preferably not ones that shed a lot.
-----

Bravo, Mary!  That is the responsible way to handle it and I am glad that
you spell out so clearly why that is so.  Sometimes raising the bar helps
all and you did that adroitly!