From:
Ronnie DiComo and Possum Prints <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 20:07:02 EST
****
First of all, my heart goes out to anyone whose little friend has died
recently.
****
On clumping litter:
We just ran an article on the hazards of clumping litter in our (cat)
shelter newsletter.  I'd be happy to e-mail it to anyone who's interested.

Re: Biting
Nancy--I sent this to your e-mail address but it was returned...

Your experience sounds frightening, but I think your posting also
provided the reason for the biting--ferrets left in a cage for
long periods of time and unsocialized (really, the amazing part
is that the male is *nice*).

I (knowingly) adopted a biter from a shelter over a year ago.  Rule #1
(which you already learned) don't put yourself in a situation where you
are likely to be bitten, or you will only get frustrated (and you already
know how much ferret bites hurt :-(

Knowing that Norman had been abused, I never hit him.  Instead, I did
pick him up a lot, talked to him a lot, played with him a lot (with toys,
not with my hand); then if he bit or tried to bite, I blew on his face or
hissed at him, and told him "no!" I also give my guys free run of the
house or at least a room, so they get as much exercise as they need and
can burn off steam.  Also, Norm has a good buddy (Ralph) to chomp on
(sounds as if yours has a friend too).  Norm was (is) predictable--he
usually bites when wound up, over-excited.  It took a while, but he
rarely bites and now he knows he's not supposed to, either!!

I think what they need is loving, exercise, playing, and they need to
know that you are not a ferret and they can't play with you in the same
way.  I personally don't think it's ever necessary to hit an animal,
child, adult, etc.  I think we do it because we've been hurt (ie, bitten)
or are frustrated, don't know what else to do so we strike back.  Give
her lots of time, patience, love, etc. and I'm sure she will be a loving
wonderful ferret.  Good luck.

--Ronnie
Cinderella ("he still bites *me*!")
Ralph ("yeah, Norm's my good buddy" :-)
Norm ("hey, Marley--where'd you find the bundt pan?")