From:
Toni James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 10:12:39 -0000
We went to the pet store to get more ferret food, the seven eat like pigs as
a matter of fact, and this time thought ahead of time to call and see if
they had any ferrets that might tempt us to buy them.  The woman said they
did, but they weren't kits.  One point for us, kits are harder to pass up.
So Mama and I got it in our heads that we are not going to buy them, we
don't have the money.  So we decided if we run in there, grab the food and
leave, we would do it.  We knew it would be hard since the last two times
they had ferrets, we needed food, and we came home with two new ferrets each
time.  Anyhow, we went in, and they had no food.  Mama practically hollers
out, and the man working came running (have to try that all the time now),*
they only have the 25lb bags, but there is no price, so please walk around
and wait, I'll get a price.* A blow to our plan, walk where, to the fish?.
.  .  too crowded.  The only open area was back to the cages, to the
ferrets.  Very slowly, hoping he would call us back, we walked to the back
of the store.  There in a big ole' cage, with no litter, food, two bowls of
water and a hand towel, were the most beautiful ( haven't seen an ugly one)
ferrets.  They were like identical, practically white noses, patches on
their knees (like Brock), as a matter of fact, they were exactly like Brock,
cinnamony-sableish, but darker.  They were so perfectly well lapped train,
no wiggling or anything.  We were hooked, we knew it.  But.  .  .  not for
$109 a piece, cheaper than in the big cities I know, but that is what they
sell the kits for, these were almost a year old each.  We bought Ba-leigh
here three weeks ago for $69, and she is younger.  Mama tried haggling.  No
bet.  He said no, this employee without even calling the owner.  The nerve,
I could see Mama fixing to turn to violence, I should have warned him that
she is in the progress of stopping to smoke and she gets ticked easily.
Then, all at once, she says, *at that price, they will be sold separately,
and they only know each other being raised together.* He then replies, I
know.  So, Mama grabs her food, pays, and we are home faster than usual.  I
can tell she is heartbroken.  My poor father comes home to hear Mama telling
about how these two ferrets will be sold separately and how she shouldn't
pay any bills, and she is so emotional I thought that maybe she was going to
use the grocery money or something, but my father got the hint, and we went
down and got the two ferrets.  He happened to have money hidden away, but
THAT is a different subject.  =} So we now have 9 ferrets, and found out
that they look EXACTLY like Brock.  We decided it is time for collars,
especially since my father is can't tell the difference between our two
albinos and our two sables ; o)

So may I introduce our two new babies!  Sticking with "B" names, we named
them Beige and Biff.

We have some concerns for Biff though, he ate and then slimy slobbery stuff
came out of his mouth.  They are going to the vet this week, so maybe it is
just nerves, but anything ya'll have to say would greatly be appreciated.

Toni (and Mama =} . . .)
Bandit, Brey, Belle, Brock, Blackee, Blanco, Ba-leigh, Beige & Biff
NEW EMAIL  [log in to unmask]