From:
Shelley Straight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:57:28 -0500
About 5 onths ago, I decided that I finally had enough space to get a second
ferret to keep my 4 year old female company while I wasn't at home (and of
course just because I would love another fuzzy).  Knowing that Blizzard has
always gotten along with other animals (dogs and cats), I went out and got a
6 month old male.  He was a sweet, docile little thing.  My female
immediately attacked him upon seeing him.  Not expecting this reaction, I
freaked out.  I do not have the space to keep two ferrets separated (living
in an efficiency), therefore, I one of my classmates took him.

It all worked out in the end for "Darby" who got a home.  However, I still
feel like I didn't give Blizzard a chance to have a ferret roomate.  Since
then I have heard that ferrets fight upon initial introduction.

I guess I am looking for advise.  Is it realistic to think a 4 and a half
year old female will accept another ferret?  She has always lived as a
single ferret with me.  The only other animal she has lived with is a dog.
Even so, I believe that she is happy.  Am I just being selfish because I
want another ferret, or will the company of another ferret eventually
benefit her?  If I do get another ferret is it best to get a male/female,
kit/adult, passive/forward?  Please help me if you have any experience with
introducing new ferrets to aggressive ferrets.

Thank you so much.

Shelley Straight
VMRCVM