From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 11:30:03 -0400
Showing Ferrets =====
Laura, which AFA show are talking about?  If it is the New York show, I'm
scheduled to judge the pet classes.  If its the Frederick show, I'll be
there.  In any case come talk to me.

What is required on vaccination certificates is the Vaccine name, Lot
number and expiration date.  Rabies is not required by the AFA until
'96.  The AFA only accepts Fervac-D for distemper.  Hopefully the vet
that gave the shot should still have that information.

Primary thing looked at in a pet class (or first timers class) is the care
and condition of the ferret.  Are the nails properly trimmed.  Ears cleaned.
Teeth in good shape.  Coat in good condition.  I can talk to people at the
shows about this too.  Its easier to show than describe some things.

Some of the names we've given albinoes are 'Proxy (for Hydrogen peroxide -
a bleach for hair and all) and Edgar (for Edgar Winter an albino musician).

Litter =====

I've been using Pine Fresh litter for almost seven years now.  It is the
best litter for ferrets.  A similar product is woodstove fuel pellets -
doesn't cut the odor as well but is MUCH cheaper for those of us who buy
industrial size ferret products...

Meg =====

You should have called us.  We had a litter by an experienced wonderful
jill that is now around 4 weeks old.  We could have done more to help
with this litter.  There is a real good chance we had a litter around the
same times as all of your other litters as well.  You need to check with
the other breeders more often.  You are only a half hour or so away and
we could do much to help your breeding problems.  A humans reporductive
system is vastly different from a humans so you can't apply to too much
human knowledge to ferrets, call some of the more successful local
breeders for advice.  It is normal for kits in small litters to be larger
than kits in larger litters.  Next time call Vickie McKimmey, Sally
Heber, the Hudson, Ellen Byrne, or Denise Edens - don't let your ferret kits
die needlessly.

Sounds like you were not fully into mastitis if the nipples were only
swollen and the kits did not get ill from the milk.  What we've learned
from the successful breeders has saved many of our kits - when the
nipples are getting hard but before a true infection sets in you can
express the milk to relieve the pressure.  If the nipple is blocked
completely and you can not express the milk you have a problem.  Amoxie
I've been told is not likely to be strong enough once mastitis sets in.
Of course we should get the advice of the vets who are trained in this.

Chilly Ferrets =====

Nicole,

If the temperature doesn't go below fifty you should have no problems
with your ferrets.  Ferrets can live outdoors even when the temperature
goes below freezing with enough bedding.  I don't let it get that cold
for my ferrets but I let them get much cooler than I let the 'people'
parts of the house.  Partially because of the breeders we let them go
through 'winter' more than I did when only had 'pets' I keep it darker
and chillier during the winter.  The neutered ferrets respond by synching
up their annual cycles of summer/winter coats.  Our ferrets have some of
the best winter coats and I think the lower temperatures have some effect
on this.  You'll suffer more than the ferrets.

Collars =====

We don't use them.  I'd worry about the ferrets get hung up and strangling
themselves.  If its for ID you could try tattooing a phone number of the
ferrets - we've been debating tatooing our for identification of breeding
animals.  THis is a dog breeders trick since the AKC would not recognize
the animals as 'AKC' registered if the breeder dies and the dogs were all
passed on to new owners with out unmistakable identification.

Blindness =====

Dr. Kawasaki (noted ferret vet) is researching deterioration of the blood
vessels in the back of ferrets eyes.  He claims it is quite easy to note
when you look in on the eye.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets