From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 13:09:16 -0600
ANIMAL CARE TO HOLD PUBLIC MEETING IN MAY

WASHINGTON, Feb.  3, 1998--The U.S.  Department of Agriculture's Animal and
Plant Health Inspection Service animal care program plans to hold a public
meeting to discuss the animal welfare program and initiatives.

"This is your meeting," said Michael V.  Dunn, assistant secretary for
marketing and regulatory programs.  "In order to better serve our customers,
we are asking the public to submit agenda topics for this meeting."

The public meeting will be held at the USDA Conference Center, 4700 River
Road, Riverdale, Md. 20737, on Tuesday, May 12.  Registration will take
place from 7 a.m.  until 9 a.m.  The meeting will begin immediately after
registration and end at 5 p.m.

APHIS is requesting meeting topics from the general public, animal
researchers, exhibitors, dealers, transporters, and animal interest groups.
To submit a topic or for more information on the public meeting contact W.
Ron DeHaven, acting deputy administrator, Animal Care, APHIS, 4700 River
Road, Unit 81, Riverdale, Md.  20737, (301) 734-4981 or fax on (301)
734-4328.  Suggestions for the meeting must be received by March 16.