From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:56:58 -0700
This evening we - all of us in the ferret community - lost a baby.

Of the one litter medically determined, allowed to birth, Sno Princess
had 5 babies.

They are almost 4 weeks old and very slow in maturation.  Sno Princess
herself is fighting for her life against mastitis tonite.

We lost little Sno Prince today.

Sno Princess was not cared for in the Hagerstown garage.  She was not
treated as a precious ferret, pregnant.  She had to wait days for food
and water.  There was no light.  No one to hold her.  It was a miracle
she birthed at all.

Her birth to me personally was bittersweet.  We all, the volunteers,
knew these kits were in for the fight of their lives from the start.
This just isn't fair that any little baby should have to have fought so
hard to live and lost the battle.  Sno Princess has been a great mother.
You cannot put your hand near her babies without being ripped to shreds.
Away from her kits, she's loving an affectionate.  God knows how many
litters were lost to rodents in that garage.  It's no wonder that she is
so overly protective.

I want you all to understand what neglect really means.  Neglect means
that they are beyond skin and bones, their immune systems are not
substantial enough to fight off the slightest of bacterial infections.
Neglect means that the adoptive homes have to work extra hard in
protecting them, in exercising them, in tending to their nutrition, vet
visits with blood studies done routinely.  Neglect means that you have
to gain the ferret's trust, so that you can clean their ears, do their
nails, look in their mouths.  Neglect means that you can expect the
unexpected, and cherish each day they are with you.

The rewards are tremendous.  I have cherished the FML posts from the
families that have adopted the Hagerstown kids.  Kim Sikorski has always
adopted the elderly and thought to be short-lived ferrets.  The most
challenged of the elderly have lived in her home far beyond everyone's
expectations..and they dook and dance.  These ferrets are learning to
dook and dance, to give kisses...to trust and thrive.  There is hope and
much joy in adopting the neglected.

Can the adoptive homes possibly overcome 15 years of neglect, no they
can't.  But in adoption, we expect unconditional love and diligent care.
They can love and nurture, but genetics are flawed by an irresponsible
breeder, and generations of lack of care....love and care was NEVER in
this equation by the breeder.

So, forgive my rant this evening, my heart is broken and I am sad and
angry.  I posted yesterday asking that all breeding partners of Diana
Bachman immediately have these ferrets altered....I am angry tonite...
I insist that you do.  I will carry that insistance to any great length
that I have to.

Thank you for listening.

Lil Sno Prince will be buried beside Hanna, Biker Chick and Boomer....
all victims of Frosty Paws Ferrets.

Affectionately,
Barb Clay
www.rockysferrets.com
HAGERSTOWN KIDS:  KEEP GIVING TIL THE HURTING STOPS!
paypal:  [log in to unmask]

Snail Mail:
832C Falls Rd.
Parkton, Md. 21120