From:
Renee Alyce Clare-Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 10:52:51 -0500
Greeting all my ferret struck friends!  I have bronchits and my sister (a
nurse) has restricted my activity to drinking fluid and resting.  Granted,
the computer is not in my bed, but I am sick of staring at my ceiling.
Besides, what better way to spend my time than helping fuzzy owners with
their loved ones?!

I am still relatively new to this whole ferret game, we've had Tinkerbell
over a month now, but we are getting struck with ferret math.  Tinkerbell
has gone into heat and but is getting "fixed" Friday morning (she tried to
find the letter from last week about the other ferret who was getting fixed
even though not broken...she thought it was funny at first but she isn't
laughing anymore!) and after her stitches come out and the 2 fun fuzzies she
played with Sunday can be adopted, she will have a new friend to play with.
(so Juliana, be expecting a phone call!!!) Mom and dad fell in love with
both ferrets, but their "keeper" suggested mom not bite off more than she is
ready for and dad put his foot down and said "only one"!

Anyway, here is my advice to a few of you who wrote yesterday....

Shannon, Podo and Moo (<===great name, my kitchen is done in cows!!)
Fleas huh?  I am sure you will get tons of responses, but my answer is
advantage.  I got it from the vet for my cat in doses for a 15 pound cat.
Izik is only 13 pounds and Tink is maybe a pound (we will find out Friday)
so I spllit the difference.  The fleas don't die immediatly but it makes
them stupid and screws up thier neurological processes so they don't
reproduce.  The lifespan of a flea is like 2 days so in 2 days, your ferret
and your cat can be flea proof!!  It is a bit expensive, and I am asking the
vet about a more thrifty solution.

Mike and Mia
Tinkerbell too loves the couch.  To get her out, we have a special squeeky
toy that we only use when we want her to come.  (it is a frog prince....she
tries to kiss him, but he isn't becoming a ferret prince) and give her a
treat.  She is still learning, but if we squeek, she looks out from under the
couch, we set the frog within her view, and out she comes.  We are going to
buy some fabric to staple to the bottom of the couch so that she can't climb
up from underneath like she does.  She will be mad, but it should (hopefully)
work.

Stephanie, Todd, Sugar, Spice, Kiner, Avery, Put Put, and Kimba also Pete,
Sandy, Penny, and Mabel
We got Tinkerbell in Florida (we live in Atlanta) so Izik (our 3 year old
lazy but wonderfully loved cat) and Tinkerbell got acquaineted in a neutral
territory...I doubt you will want to rent a hotel room to get your fuzzies
and kitties acquainted, but have separate playtimes.  At first we would put
Izik in the bedroom (where Tinkerbell STILL isn't allowed) and he was happy
to sleep on the bed.  It makes it nice to have a room where Izik is allowed
but Tink isn't...he lost ownership of the whole apartment, but still is king
of the bedroom.  Gradually we let Izik out while we played with Tinkerbell
so he saw her play and knew she couldn't be too bad.  He started to sniff
her while she was sleeping, begging to come out, and while she played.  Now
he sits on a chair or the couch and watches her like a big brother should.
He will play with her occasionally, but we aren't pushing our luck.  (we
hoped they would play, but they don't so that is why ferret math) And, a
nice bonus is that Izik has become more playful too on his own.  (or is that
just because I just unpacked the catnip?)

Tich and Mortis
Aren't fuzzies supposed to be energetic?  Isn't that why we love them?
Seriously, Tinkerbell was the same way so I started to hold her when I got
her up.  She is too tired to really care and I help her warm up.  Now she
sits in my lap while I read the FML in the morning, sleeps in my arms, and
has even given me kisses.  Just start with a few minutes and see what
happens.

Jennifer, KC, and Jasmine
Ouch, footbiters.  Since my husband came home (he spent a month in Florida)
she attacks his feet, but only with socks on.  Someone suggested using ben
gay to keep fuzzies from leaving surprizes in places you don't want them...
it was one of the best tips I have gotten off the FML.  I would try putting
it on your feet to see what happens.  The stuff is like an invisible wall to
Tinkerbell...she smells it and just stops.  Your feet will feel nice and
funny too!!!

I hope everyone thought long and hard before they decided who will run our
government the next 4 years.  To all the new fuzzies and fuzzy owners,
welcome to our world of mischief and mayhem.  To the sick fuzzies, our
thoughts and dooks are with you.  To the mommies and daddies who have sent
ferrets to be with our fuzzy friends over the rainbow bridge, this tear is
for you.  Remember, it is better to have loved and lost than never to have
loved.

Take care of yourselves so you don't end up like me.
Renee= <cough, cough, hack, hack>
Tinkerbell=  "Can we get the boy one mom?  I want a boyfri...brother, yeah,
brother"
Izik= "We're getting ANOTHER one?  Does that mean I get another room back?"