From:
Beth Comarow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 18:41:19 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-07 20:12:43 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:
> Has anyone else experienced something like this before?

Linda, we treat diarrhea with carafate (.5 ccs up to 6 times a day but
usually 3 or 4 times) and amoxicillan (amoxi-drops).  Dr. Weiss doesn't
recommend pepto simply because he thinks that carafate, while acting
differently, seems to do the trick without pepto, and the pepto can stress a
ferret even more (though a few don't mind it - there's no accounting for
taste) during a time that stress should be eliminated as much as possible.
Depending severity and type of symptoms and length of time, sometimes
another medicine is given.  I think (not sure) that flagyl was given when
one got suddenly very sick.  I can check on the other "add-on" prescriptions
if you like.

Dehydration is a major concern, especially if there's a fever.  One of ours
got dehydrated in under a day.  In that case Dr. Weiss gives sub-q fluids.
He also gives a shot for nausea - between the two, often within 5 minutes
the ferret has perked up and you can stay on top of the illness instead of
it having to be more reactive.  Likewise, if they're not eating their normal
amount, we start duck soup as a supplement, to stay on top of weight loss
rather than having to deal with a sudden, threatening drop.

If they're sick to the point they fight eating, we do frequent, very small
feedings of rather thin soup, rather than trying to push 15-20 ccs of duck
pudding down them.  For a frail ferret who's lost huge amounts of weight,
forcing a large amount in one sitting can be dangerous - even perforate the
intestines.  One of ours was only allowed to have 2-3 ccs of food for the
first two days we had her - but she was given that every 2-3 hours, 24 hours
a day.  More at one feeding would have hurt her.  After that it was 5-6 ccs
every 4-5 hours, then 10-12 (and I got to sleep through the night) and
within a week or 10 days it was unlimited amounts.  The trick was how to
MAKE her gain weight but keep her as comfortable and free of stress as
possible.  She gained very quickly with that method.  No magic formula -
depends on the ferret.

X-rays can be difficult to interpret - if you have any doubt about an xray,
sometimes it's valuable to send it to another vet who has a history of
accuracy for a second opinion.  I've been shown several xrays in the last
few months that were especially deceptive.

Unless there's no way around it, Dr. Weiss tries not to go the barium route
(though sometimes it's necessary) - again, to eliminate stress, and it can
aggravate the intestinal tract to some extent.  Since there's a chance
surgery would be needed, that's just one more aggravation you - and the
ferret - don't need to deal with if it can be avoided.

Good luck -

Beth