From:
Martha DeLaun Fifield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 12:24:26 -0400
Hi list:
I have a very old ferret, about 8 years old who is now showing signs of
disease.  It appears to be insulinoma.  He has had several recent episodes
of lethargy, grasping his mouth as he whines, drooling, limpness, and had a
rather prolonged seizure recently.  He has had about three episodes in the
last 2 months.  It tears me up to not be able to stop his suffering.  I
cried as I loved on him, prayed for him and treated the symptoms by keeping
him warm with a towel and rubbed ferretvite on his gums.  I am now giving
him ferretvite and baby food (in addition to his food) daily.  I am hoping
this helps.  I have not taken him to the vet because I do not want to put
him though all that and each time I have taken a ferret to the vet, I have
spent about a thousand dollars and ended up with a dead ferret.  I cannot
afford to do this right now, especially since my cat died this May and it
cost me over one thousand dollars.  It's crazy!  I know my ferret is old
and living on borrowed time.  I just want to make him comfortable and as
happy as possible.  Do you have any suggestions for me?  I am very attached
to him, he is my first.  I am willing to put him down if and when I see the
need to do this.  I am unwilling to put him through surgery and too much
probing.  He doesn't want to be bothered even by the other ferrets so I let
him come into the living room with me.  Please help.

Martha