From:
Mike Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 22:17:11 -0500
I am going to start by saying, if my spelling is bad it's because my tears
keep getting in the way.  My very best friend in the whole world has ECE,
how do I know?  The diarrhea started about 6 days ago, after a day or so, I
saw what looked like bird seed in his stool, I have 4 birds so I thought he
got into some of the seed.  I know I'm stupid, god help me!  The diarrhea
continued, yesterday, day 5, I took him to the vet.  I'm sorry to say I
don't have the greatest vet when it comes to ferrets.  He felt it was a
'bug' of some kind or 'stress'.  After prescribing Pepto-Bismal,
Amoxoxicillin, Chloramphenicol and Metronidazole, (The latter two of which
had to be compounded by a pharmacy.... I have to say by a very caring
pharmacy person... she even asked what flavors he liked so she could make it
better tasting)  Anyway I started reading the Ferret FAQ at Ferret Central,
(I know I should have gone there first, but I just thought he got into
something I.E.  BIRD SEED!  I could kick my self!) to see if I could deduce
the problem, when I saw the part about feces looking like bird seed, I .....
well I ... anyway, Prozac is only 8 months old, I can't lose him, he and
Little'bit ( a 3 mouth old) are all I have right now.  Reading the FAQ, I'm
not sure if I got more informed or more confused.  He's not eating much, and
I'm thinking of dropping the Amoxoxicillin, as I understand it is a appetite
suppressant.  Also I'm thinking of dropping the Pepto because it might be
getting in the way of digesting what little he is eating.  It's to late to
go to the vet tonight, but you can bet your sweat bottom side I'll be on my
way in the morning, with a copy of the ECE FAQ.  I really need the help of
you who have been through this.  ANY help you can give, if I need to feed
him gold bullion, I'll do it!  Please send your responses directly to me if
possible, and I will, as always continue to watch the list.

My Very Best to all of you, And thanks in advance

Mike, Prozac, and Little'bit