From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:05:37 -0700
>From:    Erika Matulich <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Deafness in Blazes
>This is why dark-eyedwhite ferrets (albino crosses) are also
>often deaf or hard of hearing.

Maybe but...

>Another phenomenon that causes deafness in ferrets is Waardenburg's
>Syndrome, which is a genetic defect.

A dark eyed white ferret is one showing of the Waardenburg's syndrome.  I'd
lay more blame for dew deafness in ferrets on this than the fact that they
heterozygous albino/full colored gene.

The DEW pattern seems to come from the Waardenburg gene with one albino
gene (not two or you would have al albino) and the gene that causes what
is called roaning (the white mixed with dark that also leads to the fading
over time of ferrets).

>From:    Max <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Waardenburg syndrom

Thanks!