Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:02:34 -0800
Hi All,

I have been on the list a while but this is only the second time i have
ever posted anything (i like to just listen to you guys and gals talk).
Anyway...For the first question.  Not to long ago I purchased my thrid
ferret.  Sterling is a little sliver male who is just about 3 months old.
When i got my first two fuzzies (Darwin and Gandolf) I got them from a
lady who didnt want them anymore (I will never understand why) and hadnt
kept up on thir shots.  Anyway long story short on his second distemper
booster Darwin had a really bad reaction and because of that I have been
afraid to get Sterling his shots.  How commom is it for a ferret to have
a reastion like that?  My ferrets stay inside and all my other animals
are vaccinated, so what is the risk of them actually getting something?

For my second question.  I live in Columbia Missouri and ferrets just
recently became legal here (id say in the last 8 months but I cant
remember the exact date).  So of corse now every pet store is selling
htem like wild fire because they are the coolest new thing.  And in the
short time since they have become legal there are alreay three in the
Humane Society (the closeist ferret rescus is 2 houres away and usually
full), which absolutly breaks my heart.  Now im usre this is a HUGE
undertaking, and i realize i am still very new to ferrets but i would
like so much to do all i can to help the poor little fuzzies who cant
help who happned to walk into the petstore and thought they were cute.
I would really like to start taking the beginning steps to opening a
shelter and I was wondering if those of you on the list that work at/run
shelters could get ahlod of me and help me to understand just what i
need to do to get started.

Im sorry this spost is getting so long, i actually have a few other
small questions but Darwin is war dancing at my feet and i cant just
ignore him so they will have to wait untill later.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Jocie Kessinger
Darwin, Gandlof, and Sterling