From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 13:52:49 -0700
Hi ferret lovers!

I just bought my first ferret -being a CA.  citizen- in Las Vegas... I love
him, and I think I will always have ferrets around me from now on.  I've
been following FML for a while, and I remember, few weeks ago someone asked
about angora ferrets.  I don't remember, was there an answer for it or not,
but I saw angora ones in a petstore, in Vegas.  They were about three times
as expensive, as the "regular" ferts.  I also remember a discussion about
european ferrets, being bigger or not, then the ones we have here, in the
States.  I don't know, who answered, but he said, those are even smaller,
than ours.  In the same petstore (mentioned above) I saw some bigger ones,
priced 50 dollars higher than others.  I asked, what's the different, and
the assistent told me, they were european ones, and they will grow to about
5 pounds(females) to 10 (males).

He also said, that they are a lot nippier, than the others.  They looked
bigger, but when I asked, how old they are, he said three months old.  I
never had a ferret before, so I couldn't compare the size to a normal three
months old ferret, but my 9 weeks old boy is about half a size of them.  So
I'm just still confused, what's the deal with these european ferrets.  I'm
from Hungary, and I've seen ferrets over there before, they didn't seem
giant to me...

One more thing. On the ferret FAQs, there is a question:

"I'm allergic to cats. Will I be allergic to ferrets?"
The answer is: You really can't tell.

Well, I have severe allergic to cats (Altough I love them, imagine, you want
to love something, and you get sick from it...), with a good combination of
asthma.

Cats are simply impossible to handle for me, that's one of the reasons why I
wanted a ferret.  I had my councerns, what if I'm allergic to ferrets, as
well?  Here in Ca, I can't walk into a petstore and handle ferrets, just to
check the reactions, and I don't know anyone here with ferrets, who I could
have gone to, for the same reason.  So I gambled.

Guess what: I'm allergic to ferrets, too!  But it's really mild, only
sneezing, and it's pretty controllable with drugs.  A LOT BETTER, than with
cats.  So the point of the story is: Just an add to the FAQs.

If you have severe allergic reactions to cat fur/soliva, and/or other furry
critters (like dogs, in my case, I have MILD allergy to dogs), than you have
a really good chance to be allergic to ferrets, as well.  If you don't want
to take the chance, or you don't want to risk your health and the amount of
your kleenex usage, don't even think about getting one, unless you are at
least as crazy, as I am.  You will end up with an other "shelter ferret" and
I don't think anyone would want that happen.

I still have one more question:
My little ferret (no name yet, altough mazula (spelled mazsola in hungarian)
meaning raisin is something to think about, thanks for the idea) will not
eat anything else, besides his Marshall Ferret food.  Not even
Ferretone!!!!!!!!!!  Nothing!  I offered him just about everything I could
find in my kitchen, but nothing works.  Is this normal at a young age (9
weeks), or is it simply just the too much excitement (I bought him on
monday)?

Someone wrote something about the smell of the Marshall Ferret food.  I
think, as long as they find it appetizing, and it cointaines everything,
what they need, and they are happy with it, just let them have it.  Mine
loves it.  Finally we are not the ones, who have to eat it, so why should we
worry about the smell?!

Thanks for listening
                                        Sylvia & Mazsola(?)
Smokey (dog): Now, if you bought that furry, smelly, jumping little thing
for me,  why don't you let me have it????
Scott (husband): HHHEEELLLPPP....!