From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:07:35 EDT
Linda brings up some interesting issues.  I'd like to respond, but please
note this is not at this time LIFE's official policy, just a response.

>ISSUE ONE: Should the number of entries by one exhibitor be limited, by
>ring or in total?  Will this increase fairness to smaller exhibitors?
>Would it make shows less likely to run behind schedule?

Interesting.  Regretfully certain exhibitors have been known in the past to
have others register and show their ferrets for them, listing the ferrets
as belonging to a different individual than they actually did for various
reasons.  What would make these people not do ithe same thing in order to
get more ferrets into the rings?  Personally, I have attended shows where I
was only showing in one or two rings, and have entered shows where I had
seven ferrets in 15 rings, and have done the same either way, or even
better with less ferrets entered.  So I am not convinced that limiting
entries per person is the way to go.  Perhaps it would be more fair to
simply make it first come first serve and limit the number of entries per
ring, or split the rings up into two or more.  I have done that with sable
rings and chocolate ringsin the past, and either broken them up randomly,
or grouped them by age, whichever seemed fairest depending on the entries.
Obviously in general lower entry numbers make for an earlier ending show.
Another thing that helps is having enough judges and stewards, and
attendees that have their ferrets waiting.  There is NOTHING more
frustrating to a judge than sitting there waiting for a ferret to be
brought up because the owner is too busy yapping about something or trying
to sell something or another.  IMHO, it might be a wise thing to put a
time limit on bringing your ferret up for judging, unless the ferret is in
another ring at the time of course, and when that time expires, the ferret
is scratched.

>ISSUE TWO: Should efforts be made to decrease emphasis on "fancy" colors
>that are linked to genetic defects, specifically blazes, pandas, and other
>colors linked to Waardensburg syndrome?  (Note I do not want to restart
>the discussion on deafness as defect.  In my mind it clearly is.  But that
>does not mean deaf ferrets are not deserving of loving homes.  I have a
>deaf blaze--I knew when I got him he was likely to be deaf, and I also
>knew the possible health and behavioral ramifications.)

Another interesting question.  A possible alternative to simply not
allowing these ferrets into shows or severely penalizing them is to only
allow then to be shown in specialty and alter classes.  I'm not going to
be the person to tell a ferret owner that their deaf, sweet tempered,
gorgeous, well maintained MF blaze can't be shown.  That is a really BAD
idea, and would be a disservice to the ferret community.  Rather than
putting the emphasis on the breeder, put the emphasis on the pet.

>ISSUE THREE: Is there a way to define colors that allows as much inclusion
>as possible without having to define special colors that may favor certain
>breeders?  Is warm or cool tinted undercoats a reason to score a ferret
>higher or lower?

Under LIFE standards many of the classes allow for a cream or white
undercoat.  LIFE judges are trained that yellow under coats in whole or
recently altered ferrets is not a flaw.  Generally a judge can tell if the
undercoat color is a maintainence isue or simply genetics.  Ferrets are
then scored accordingly.  As many of you know, I often ask what kind of
food a ferret is being fed when it is handed to me for judging.  That
in of itself is a pretty good indicator right up front of what type of
maintainence you'll be seeing.  Meow Mix gives a pretty icky coat in more
ways than color.  It also gives the judge a chance to educate the owner.  I
am personally opposed to establishing a new range of colors.  Pretty much
unless you are talking about a true "Mutt", most of which are blaze/panda
or heavy silver wannabe's, LIFE has a color/pattern class that the ferret
will fit into.  Although I am not certain, I would assume the AFA is the
same way.

All that said, I WOULD like to see shows become less centered on breeding
and more centered on ferrets as a pet and a forum for the exchange of
information on health and maintainenece.  IMHO not allowing breeders to
sell kits at shows performs this mission, and makes the shows much more
centered on the ferret as a pet and the average ferret owner.

Hope that helps.

Anne