From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:30:53 -0800
For those of you that get Ferrets Magazine, there is a story about Tigger
in the last issue.  At the time the magazine went to print, Tigger was
still a healthy little ferret.

However, about a month ago, he began to vomit...it was just once a week,
or so.  He also began to loose weight and developed a softer, darker
stool.

His mom had taken him to the vet in her area, and after an ultrasound and
xrays, they felt he had a mass in his abdomen.  It didn't 'appear' to be
in his stomach, but close to that area.

Last week, Tigger was taken to our Shelter Vet, and started on Amoxi and
Biaxin, to treat for Helicobacter.  By this time, feeding Tigger was a
chore, and he was refusing almost all food.  He had lost a lot of weight.
He was grinding his teeth.  Carafate was added to his meds.  While the
possibility of a hairball was discussed, we hoped the meds would take
care of the problem.

He was scheduled for surgery for after the 14 days of meds were taken, to
give him time to build up a bit.  He was also showing very subtle signs
of adrenal disease.  Everything could be checked at that point in time.

This week, his mom noticed his stool was getting worse; looking like
a melted Hershey Kiss (sorry, chocolate lovers!).  He began to vomit
everything she got into him.  If he ate more than 3 'licks' of food,
he brought it back.

Tigger's mom called the Shelter Vet, and little Tigger was scheduled
for emergency surgery on Tuesday.  He was weak, and thin.

Tigger surrendered a small hairball (think of the last joint on your
little finger) and a left adrenal gland.  I'm sure he will feel much
better, now!

The point?  A hairball can move into the exit of the stomach, causing
trouble, then dislodge, and the symptoms may go away for a while.  The
hairball continues to snag hair and grow.  It is a source of irritation
to the stomach lining, causing bleeding...I believe this is what causes
the stool to darken.  The irritation causes pain, so they will grind
their teeth.

If the hairball is small enough, meaning that it is smaller in diameter
than the intestines it must pass through, then your ferret might be able
to pass them with a hairball laxative.  However, once that hairball is
larger than the smallest diameter of the intestines, it will need to be
surgically removed.

As has been said here before, Ferretone, Ferretvite or any other oil will
not help carry the hair out of the stomach and through their system.  It
must be a non-digestible product such as Petromalt, Laxatone, Laxistat,
Petroleum Jelly or similar product.

Another observation, is that it usually seems to be the older ferrets
that have trouble with hairballs, possibly because their systems are
slowing down, or maybe they have just had more time to develop.

With the recent discussion on hairballs, I thought I would share.

Julie

=====
Julie Fossa   (419) 225-8383
West Central Ohio Ferret Shelter