From:
Shelley Knudsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 00:17:15 -0600
Hello!

As I was just skimming the fml I came across some posts about giardia.  I
am assuming someone asked a question about it (I don't get to read most of
the fml's) and I thought I would throw my two cents in.  I am currently
fighting with giardia here at the shelter.  Everytime I think that I have
it licked, someone else comes down with it.  But anyway, Flagyl is the only
recommended drug that I have found for giardia, and as anyone who has tried
to give Flagyl to a ferret would know, ferrets detest and I do mean detest
Flagyl more than any other medicine I have ever given.  But, thanks to a
vague memory of a post, the fml searchable archives, and to Sukie Crandall
for making the post, I found a pharmacy that makes tolerable Flagyl.  It
is very expensive, but it is worth the money for getting it down.  I also
found a post for another pharmacy that does the same thing posted by Dr.
Karen.  The two pharmacies are:

Belvidere Pharmacy
New Jersey
1-908-756-6695

Prescription Specialties Compounding Pharmacy
Chesire, Connecticut
1-800-861-0933

So far we have had pretty good luck with the rasberry flagyl, and I'm sure
there are other flavors that would work even better.  They also make other
meds, not just flagyl, in case someone out there has a ferret who really
really hates their medicine, this might work for them.  Hope this can help
someone!

Dooks and kisses to your fuzzies,
Shelley Knudsen
Legion of Superferrets of Nebraska Ferret Shelter
[log in to unmask]    http://www.tcgcs.com/~ferrets
402-463-0190   402-461-6541

To see how you can help raise money for our shelter without spending a
penny, please visit:
http://www.eyegive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1456&MID=4888