From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 20:02:52 -0400
Please, see Ardith's post on four ferrets:

My points in relation to those 4:
Re: Deslorelin Implant update

Oh, I don't think that you have yourself to blame at all for some
people going wild with panic, Ardith, nor do I think that you caused
it. You asked reasonable questions about what might be a new syndrome
or a new disease, or perhaps one that is not seen often.

The people who threw everything on the bandwagon, even obvious
explainable things given the diseases their ferrets had are the ones
who panicked.

Three things stand out in your post.

1. The first is something you said to me privately, that from now on
you really, really want pathology/histology done because necropsy
alone is insufficient.

2. The second is that there now is a ferret who has NOT had an implant
who has the same symptoms.

3, Even though a necropsy without pathology/histology is incredibly
unlikely to be accurate your vet said that the gross appearance of
one of these four ferrets did not match your two who passed.

So, of the 4:
-2 locations, both friends
-same symptoms
-3 of the 4 implanted but one NOT implanted
-necropsy looked different on one (Note added later: this ferret is one
 of the ones with an implant)
-(Other new note: the one with a different looking necropsy was a
 friend's, as is the one who was not implanted)

Ardith,
Have multiple coccidia tests been done for BOTH genera of coccidia
(which are very different sizes so need different magnification)?
There have been several bouts in the U.S.of highly fatal coccidia with
diarrhea and then bleeding. It often takes multiple tests to find it.
Is your friend someone with whom you get together physically (since if
memory serves coccidia can travel on shoes), and more importantly do
the ferrets get together?

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/