From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 00:28:05 -0400
Well, I thought today would be our big surgery day to locate a blockage that
the vet and I both felt, but today we could not find it.  This may be due to
Festus' dramatic improvement since I have been up almost around the clock
with him feeding him his "mush" and coaxing him and standing on my head to
get him to eat something.  I also think his improvement is largely due to
starting Sub-Q fluids last night...he is a different ferret today.  I had
put alot of faith in Pedialyte and figured it would be the same if I could
only enough of that down him, but I have been proven wrong, probably an
indication that he is not absorbing nutrients properly through the
intestinal walls, the vet and I discussed that at length today.  I know the
Sub-Q is painful as it separates the skin from the muscle so I tend to use
it as a last resort.

This kid was alert, active and even wanted to play today.  He drank his mush
out of his bowl all by himself (usually he will only take it out of a
dropper), and between that and his tryng to play, I sat and cried.  Oh, and
I haven't even mentioned his poop yet (aren't we ferret people nuts?) his
poop is just beautiful, another indication that there is no blockage.  I
guess I won't describe the poop in detail as some may not appreciate its
finer points as some of us fuzzynuts do.

So for now we are holding off on surgery as he is improving somewhat.  He
refuses to drink out of a bowl or bottle so we are still arguing about this,
but he is so bright-eyed now compared to before that *I* have hope again.
He had me so scared.  I still may cancel the trip to the board meeting about
ferrets in Austin, just can't justify leaving this sick one, unless he is
much better.  It is like going off to work and leaving your (two-legged)
child home sick by themselves and trying to justify it.  Though Donna will
care for them just fine, it will still be hard to leave him.  I have worked
with this boy since he first arrived here last July and it has just been a
roller-coaster.  We still haven't a clue as to the root of his problem.  He
is on Metronidazole now, keep your fingers crossed.

White Fang....
Latest report is that White Fang is not crazy about Monica's girls and
quickly let her opinion be known.  Her male, Buddy, does not like other
ferrets so am not sure if she will introduce him to White Fang at all.

Well, the checks started arriving today, thank goodness, will give you an
update in a day or so, as tomorrow will probably hold a few more.  If you
have yet to send yours, please do so now, and thank you very much, without
you guys White Fang might not even be here now.

Kisses to your kids from...

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter