From:
"Lisa G. Fleischmann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 15:27:28 -0700
Hello!
Just thought I would give my opinion on switching to a new food, (especially
for Wayne with the new fert):

In general it is a good idea to switch ANY animal over to a new food (even
new brand) slowly.  Easing them into a new food not only helps them adjust
to the taste, texture, etc., but it also helps their intestinal bacteria
adjust without causing major upsets.  Switching to a new food too quickly
may result in gas, diarrhea -- in general gastrointestinal upsets.  To keep
those intestines happy, mix a little bit of the new food in with the old.
Every day add a little more of the new food, a little less of the old.
Whenever I switch my ferrets to new foods I give them about two or three
weeks to completely switch them over.  If this doesn't work, there may be
something about the new food that the ferret doesn't like, and you may want
to try a different brand.  For instance, my ferret, Squirt, absolutely
detests ferret food.  Now I feed my two ferts 1/2 Iams Kitten and 1/2 Iams
Adult.  They seem to like it and are doing quite well on it.  BTW, my baby
fert Daisy doesn't like raisins, fruit, ferretone, etc.  She only likes the
Iams.  Go figure.
                                Lisa and Noah
                                Daisy -- Where did Squirt go?
                                Squirt -- Where's my raisin?

BTW many animals have a natural tendency to "test" unfamiliar foods.
Hedgehogs will eat something new, regurgitate it, and wipe it all over
themselves.