From:
Christine Code <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 14:46:45 -0800
Anybody able to get a fuzzit to sit on a shoulder for a decent length of
time? I need your advice.

I often take a ferret with me when I go grocery shopping, and we walk the
five blocks to the shop. Unless it's really cold, Madeline wants to run most
of the way, while Theo wants to ride in my jacket or on my shoulder for a
good portion of the trip.  I know when a fuzzit wants down because the
darling will start to squirm a lot and try everything in order to get closer
to the ground.

So I've been putting them down when they want down, and lifting them up when
they want up.

MEANWHILE, I've read the sections in some book about teaching a ferret to
ride on one's shoulder.  The author instructs the ferret owner to set up a
box full of crumpled newspaper.  Then, when the ferret falls off, the owner
makes sure that the fuzzbean falls into the box, with it's scary newspaper
sounds.  At the same time, a loud "no!" is issued.  I get the impression
from this part (and from comments I've heard from other ferret owners) that
a ferret can be taught to stay on a shoulder for quite a while, which would
be really handy if we could manage that inside the store or inside any of
the businesses we frequent.

My question is, how do I achieve some sort of balance here?  If I want to
teach shoulder riding, does that mean there's no more
down-when-fuzzit-squirms-to-get-down when we're out walking?

I wish I could just say things like "Look, squirm-face, you just chill out
and ride on my shoulder for the next half-hour or so."  Or "I don't care if
you ride or walk today, so just fuss if you want down." Since I am
unfortunately incapable of saying these things in Ferret, does that mean I
have to choose one or the other and stick with it forever???

Christine
--
Christine Code                     We shall find peace.
Vancouver, CANADA                  We shall hear the angels,