From:
Joyce 'Azusa' Meadows <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:46:17 -0600
I found out this morning as I was about to leave for class that our
apartment will be sprayed for bugs today.  (I noticed the memo on the coffee
table - I'm not sure if it came just this morning, or if it came earlier and
my roommate forgot to mention it.) So I had to skip class to empty the
cabinets :( and I'll be taking the ferrets to the park for the afternoon.  :)

>From:    "Stephanie Sheme - Ferrets Etc." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Colorado happenings
>just let me know.  Also we have had 14 ferrets turned in to us in 3 days
>with 3 more on there way tonight, so we are desperate for good adoptive
>homes, please let me know if you can adopt.

sigh...I would love to adopt another ferret, but I'm in Texas with no
transportation.  (Well, there's the car, but it wouldn't make it to
Colorado.) If I find a way out there, though, I'll be sure to let you
know!!!

Seth and Emma send fuzzy e-kisses to all your shelter kids (and everyone
else's, too!) and I send e-hugs! XOXOXOXOXOX :)
(Sappy, huh?)

*********
>From:    Renee Alyce Clare-Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
>This is my first posting on the FML so please be patient with me!

Hi!  Welcome! :)

>bedroom, bathroom and patio.  She finds the couch (behind the cushions but
>in front of the back) the best place to sleep now that I have blocked her
>hidey hole.  Which leads me to my second point...FERRET PROOF!!!  I thought

Congrats on your fuzzy!  One caution about couches, though: Ferrets can all
too easily get up into the springs.  And if someone doesn't realize the
ferret's in there, and sits on the couch...you understand.  We got a used
couch and loveseat last month, and the couch had a small tear in the bottom.
Seth quickly enlarged the hole and climbed up into the couch, so now neither
one of the carpet sharks is allowed inthe living room unless one of us is
closely watching them.

>litter box.  She, however, will not poo in it, she reserves that "privledge"
>for my moulding.  I am wondering if having a small lip on the litter box
>would be a better thing?  The current litter box we have is about 8 inches
>floor to door.  The breeder I got her from said she used a disposable turkey

(Do you mean the edge is 8 inches off the ground?)
My two refuse to use any litter box where they have to step over an edge
more then about 2 or 3 inches high.  So yes, maybe cutting yours down
would help.

>clean your sinuses but Tink will NOT leave her little gifts under the couch
>anymore!!  (I got a bruise on my arm getting the literal s**t load out
>before...looking for fuzzy owner sympathy!!)

You got it!...when I think of some of the places I've found "presents"....

>And finally, I am considering breeding my little "darling" (I say that now,
>she's sleeping!!) if only once for the experience.  Any hints, tips,
>suggestions, warnings?

Others will say more about this than I'm able to, so I'll leav it to them.
I do just want to add my measly little voice to theirs, though: Breeding
ferrets is quite risky for the jill and the kits.  There's a good chance
that she, they, or all will die.  It's not like breeding cats or dogs.  And
especially since this is your first ferret (if I understood right), you'd
probably want to put off the idea of breeding.

>Sincerest thanks for anyone willing to help me out with ANY suggestions.

I hope these do help, even a little.  I'm never quite sure what to say when
I post, since there are so many others who know so much more, and I feel
like my replies are probably going to just be redundant.  :)

>From:    Bob Brown <[log in to unmask]>
>A few days ago, Bob talked about feeding chicken bones to his ferrets.
>No one commented on the idea. ...

Bob knows what he's doing.  Sometimes I don't, so I've never given my kids
bones.  As I understand it, carnivores in the wild eat the hide in addition
to bones and meat, and the bone fragments get wrapped up in fur and skin in
the stomach.  This makes a little "package" that can pass through the
intestines without shredding them.  Since my ferrets are not fed fur or
skin, I am also reluctant to feed them bones.  :)

-joyce, Servant of Seth the Mighty and Emma the Title-less

seth: is it time to go yet  is it time to go yet
emma: i went already   check the litterbox