From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 08:16:00 EST
Chere, since I'm responsible for the MA Ferret Freedom Day card, I'd like a
report on the field trials.  I know you got it from Bill Williamson, we sent
them out to friends as our "Xmas" card.  (Anne Charbonneau, yours will be
there shortly.) As proof, that is a photo of our Jagger on that particular
card and the caption is printed in green.  Actually, there are 3 different
plastic cards with unique photos and captions (collect them all!).  I wanted
to beat Topps and Fleer to the ferret trading card niche.  We sent one to
Gov. Weld, but maybe he didn't appreciate getting a bulky envelope with
electronics and batteries in it.  Some people are so sensitive these days.

I take it the batteries held up well and the outer card kept sounding (some
ferrets love that tune).  The interest was also there despite the
distracting glitz of Vegas.  So both the physical and emotional designs have
to be considered a success.  If you have any comments on possible
improvements based on these field tests, let me know.  I toy with the idea
of going commercial.

              ----------------------------------

Bob Martin, thanks for filling in the details on GFCIs.  To an EE, a ground
fault circuit is a redundant term at best, actually I liked it when the "C"
stood for current, but that didn't catch on.  In Barbara's situation she did
just have a short.  For those interested, GFCIs work by comparing the
current flow at the "hot" and "neutral" side of a receptacle.  When equal
due to complete or short circuit, the current flows unless a fuse blows.  A
ground fault causes a difference and that triggers the device.  To have one
of the people that worked on this brilliant design on the FML is an honor.
To even read my stuff even more so.  You have saved lives.

I was thinking of the potential ground paths when I posted.  Radiators,
metal electric baseboards, metal bed or furniture frames touching these,
ionic bladder fluid puddles and.....  This is where ferrets often lurk when
chewing.  I didn't even mention the death potential, although on this list
I'd have to couch it as "an E ticket ride over the Rainbow Bridge." (I'm one
of the few people whose ferrets only die.) I figured I'd concentrate on
installation aspects and let the benefits just fall in place.  GFCI only
helps in certain limited circumstances, but the difference is dramatic.
When you have a chewing ferret, I figure the protection is worth it.  Thanks
again, both Bobs and BIG.  It always is nice to have a safety net to cushion
the results of mistakes.

I'll go back to working on the next episode of Cyber Max and skip safety
advice for a while.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \ This was my nice post for the year, back to nasty mode.