From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 19:36:14 -0400
I recently was at a used book store looking thru the animal section (I drive
these people nuts!).  I ran across a little, blue hard cover book - very
slim & an awkward size.  I almost skipped by it since no title was on the
binding, but instead I pulled it out.  I almost fell over!

It was a book called "Genetics of The Ranch Mink" by Richard M. Shackelford.
It was published by Pilsbury Publishers, Inc. in 1950.  I guess Dr.
Shackelford worked for the University of Wisconsin as an Assistant Professor
of Genetics (that happening in 1948 - 2 years prior to publication - I assume
he must have eventually advanced to Professor) and as an agent for the Bureau
of Animal Industry, USDA.  He has familiarized himself with research (hands
on) in Sweden, Denmark & Norway - in all fur bearing critters.

I haven't read the whole book, since I just got it yesterday.  It touches
base on recessive, dominant, mutations, expectations, colors, outbreeding,
inbreeding (haven't read this yet, but am assuming they mean in a closed
colony & as opposed to studding out or bring in more stock, since they talk
about outbreeding - I hope!).  So now my big question - How closely are
ferret genetics to the ranch mink genetics?  I have known many breeders that
have mink books as references.  Bob C - maybe a question for you to answer?
Anybody else?

Can anybody tell me if this is a good book, about the author, about the
publication (I will be trying to get a hold of Pilsbury - if they are still
around - to find out production numbers & editions), and anything else.

Also, anybody know when the new edition of Fox's book comes out?  The last
edition was 1988.

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
Please e-mail me at [log in to unmask] despite the origins of this post
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

Come see updates & photos of kits on the "Birth Announcement" page and
photos of the kits we got from Sam Young in New Zealand on the "About
Flemming Farms Ferrets" page

**Please stop by & vote for Seven Year Itch in Photo Contest on the "Very
Important Message" page**