From:
Laryssa Nyland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 00:36:06 -0800
I just had to say a few things about the lost ferret situation.

Remember that even if you find the owners, you don't have to give it
back to them. That is what court is for. The police can TRY to take it
but they have no right, even if the owners manage to get cops to show
up.

Besides that, I have several adrenal ferrets that will run outside if
given a chance.

Sometimes people who take the best precautions can have accidents.
Consider if you will, someone breaking into someone's house. That is
extreme, but some things are out of our control.

Also consider the way some of our FML'ers ferrets look who are adrenal
and have had surgeries, or are on lupron, or anything - and still look
like crap. Sometimes they don't grow their fur back. Sometimes they
grow another adrenal tumor. You won't know by looking at it whether it
has had surgery or treatment.

Also, nails - there is also the possibility that the ferret was stolen
from someone, not taken care of, and dumped. You just don't know what
happened. I've had people call me to let me know ex's or "friends" took
their ferret and to let them know if a ferret comes in with this and
that.

I'm just throwing ideas out there. If you put up Lost Ferret signs and
make them prove it's theirs, and show the reason why it looks that way
(adoption papers, vet opinions, etc)....then you can decide from there.
But I would at least give it a chance to find the owners...nails can
grow super long in less than a month. I am not saying he was outside
all that time, but like I said - maybe he escaped from someone's house
and someone else found and took him in, then either dumped or lost him
when they got bored....many a ferret had been surrendered to me when
the people figured the fun new animal they had found outside was
destroying their carpet, and peeing/pooing everywhere.

Laryssa