From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 20:47:11 -0500
Got a call the other day from a man with a new ferret who is a biter.  He
got a ferret from a store approx 3-4 months ago and they can't seem to
socialize him in terms of biting.  He had just bloodied his wifes hand
pretty good.  He thought the ferret was approx 4 months old when he got him.

They have been using gloves most of the time.  His 11 yr old son plays with
him with gloves, he did say they try to stay on him both to play with him
and not play too rough.  I mentioned Bitter Apple and he said they had some
(although I'm not sure whether they'd tried it yet).  He did say they had
slacked off on working with him lately because of the biting.  I recommened,
(1) keep up lots of handling, with gloves if need be, a fly swatter if he's
biting ankles (not mentioned as a problem), the push into the mouth gently
but uncomfortably when bitten, don't reward by putting down, try to find
bitter apple PASTE and scruffing (he said he was too fast) and hissing.  He
does have another ferret in the house and the new ferret plays with it very
aggressively (causing sqeaking and chittering and the aggressive ferret is
bigger).  The guy seemed at his wits end.  I do think 3-4 months is pretty
long for a ferret to still be biting?

I have learned so much on this list but it is still "book" knowledge not
experience!  I volunteered to take the ferret to work with him but quite
frankly don't feel experienced to do this and am terrified.  During that
part of the conversation I found out he hadn't had any other shots since he
brought him home from the store - the guy didn't know he needed them!  I
said keep trying and get him his shots then I'll see about taking him in for
a little while.  Gulp!

What else should I tell this guy?  Any other hints?

Thanks
Mary