From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 20:30:56 -0400
Todd replied with his interpretation of ferret value and ended up with the
following:

>To say that a fuzzie must have a price tag attached to its tail (or other
>body part) in order for it to be valued and cared for is irresponsible and
>somewhat thoughtless.  The value a person places on something is determined
>by the person, not the price (though many people *do* place a value on
>something based on it's price...because those people have no ability to
>determine that value of anything in any other manner) of the item.  So,
>let's just say that a nominal fee should be charged to keep the lab
>donators away from the door and leave the rest alone.

I do believ Todd the previous poster was elaborating on setting a value --
and precidence for the ferret-

You see in the real world - any animal must have a value -- unfortunately
for most pet owners that just isn't so-- unless you can prove an animal's
worth-- you will not get compensated for that pet ( as if anything could
ever compensate for loss) in the event of death from neglect, abuse, etc.
Unfortunately in this world a pet is a material object with little if any
worth-- just ask anyone who has fought for animals in a court of law.  The
price doesn't necessarily mean anything where sentiment is concerned.  BUT
is is essential in the case of fighting for animal protection, or loss
compensation to have a way of proving the animal's worth.  A receipt will
do that.

This is only my interpretation of a ferrets value discussion-- which relates
to the extent of my experiences trying to protect the abused and neglected
animals.  I am always open to hearing anothers interprtation.

happy ferreting,

alicia
at Ferret Wise