From:
William Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 00:17:14 -0500
>From:    Jerri Carel <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Medical requirements for Shows .
>
>Can anyone tell me what the requirements are for a ferret to be entered in
>a show - distemper or distemper AND rabies vaccines?
>
>What will I need to show them?  just proof of vaccine or a "health
>certificate"?

This varies by show.  Virtually all require canine distemper vaccinations -
some require specifically FerVac-D as an approved vaccine while others also
allow Galaxy-D as a well accepted alternative within the veterinary world.

In states where a rabies vaccine is required most shows will likewise
also require that.  Some require it regardless of the state's laws.

A certificate showing proof of the vaccination from your vet is enough.
Those shelters and breeders that vaccinate their own ferrets for distemper
can supply proof of vaccination before adoption.  If you as an owner
vaccinate your own ferrets, you supply your own certificate - normal
procedure has become also supplying the labels from the vials.

Most shows have a veterinarian check the ferrets into the show hall
with a health check.  The examination's detail varies by vet doing
the service.

>From:    "Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: revamping show standards?
>
>The problem that I see with disqualification is this: the conformation
>standards already set for the ring will prevent this ferret from placing.

This co-incides nicely with our feelings.  Too many judges (one would be
too many though) fancy themselves qualified to look at an animal and be
able to decide that some new trait is absolutely a genetic defect and to
be disqualified.

Along with this, our feelings are that a color standard should not
define the one perfect example but rather a range through which all
gradations in that range are equally acceptable.  An aesthetic appeal
can be a part of this sure.  We delude ourselves to think that shows -
even those that are based on "rigorous" standards are anything other
than beauty pageants.

We would be appalled to find out that say the Miss America "Competition"
(they no longer use the term pageant) had specific tones that the skin
color of the young ladies must match.  That would be horrible racism.
Instead its more that a slightly darker skinned lady can be just as
beautiful as a slightly lighter skinned young lady but if the "look"
just doesn't work, the whole is deemed not as attractive.  The same can
be applied to ferrets.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets