From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:22:40 -0400
>Moderator's note: Anonymous posts -- especially controversial ones --
>are not automatically approved. They are decided on a case-by-case
>basis. I think requests for help from shelters go through a similar
>thought process by FML (etc.) readers. I agree that some people are
>quick to judge, or even deliberately try to sway judgement, but I also
>note there is only so much money to go around. I, for one, want to
>hear the pros and cons of a shelter so I can decide for myself where
>to send my money. And people DO have preferences, though I really
>don't think they are too skewed: some people like shelter A, others
>shelter B, and even others shelter C in spite of the fact someone on
>the FML has badmouthed it -- or maybe BECAUSE it's badmouthed! BIG]

Thanks for the Note BIG--You're right, I don't mean someone can't pick a
shelter, what I mean is, I see people questioning a shelter if it comes
up with a post for help.  I'm sure most are going to support a shelter in
their area before one miles and miles away., but when a shelter like the
most recent one who has 82 ferrets, who asked for help, many people have
started rumors about them, some may be true, some may not.  I don't know.
I have learned from the past that bickering and flaming gets you nowhere,
all it does-- is in many cases cause harm to the ferrets if the shelter
needs help.  Many shelters have closed recently because they don't get
the help they need.  I realize that money is tight for everyone.  I wish
we could all come up with a solution to this, for every shelter.
Wouldn't it be nice.

I just wanted to mainly point out that flaming a shelter when you don't
know the facts can hurt only the ferrets, and to point out that if you
hesitate to give $$ to a shelter because you don't know them well, you
can always send the items to them without sending cash.

There is so much going on in this world lately, bickering is one thing we
don't need to do.  I'm just very sad at the numbers of ferrets that each
shelter ends up taking in, it's awful, does anyone know the percentages
of how many are sold and how many of those end up in shelters.  It seems
to be extremely high.

Maybe we could start a holiday adopt-a-ferret program, if every member
pledged to take in just one more from a shelter at this holiday season
and give them a Happy Christmas, look at how many little ones would have
a new permanent home.(don't know how many members on here), or better
yet, if many would take just one special need ferret out of each shelter,
that would be great.

Wish I could hit the lottery and then all ferrets would get the $$ :-)

Thanks for listening

[SI]