From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:31:46 -0400
Okay here is the latest approach ebing tried for Chiclet.

There is also something that can kill fungus infections just in case
that is the cause rather than bacterial, but we have to pick up that
prescription tomorrow so I don't know the name or how often a day that
is.  Hey, it's kind of an anything-but-the-kitchen-sink situation and
our vet and consultants are excellent.

This is her 6th week of this thing, BTW.  Pretty good when you consider
how rapidly all the other few individuals died.  (This thing is rare if
this handful of indviduals have/had the same thing and no households with
it have any other ferrets, other critters, or humans ill so it is NOT
easy to get -- so maybe something carried by an insect or something.)

She is off IV now but having sub-cu three times a day and some of her
meds are given through the port of that while some are oral.  She has a
special cream that reduces skin sensitivity which is used a few minutes
before the sub-cu to make it more comfy for her and it really helps a
lot.  Three times a day she gets Buprenex (the Rimadyl Ulrike mentioned
for keeping down fevers and controlling pain is the alternative if this
doesn't work but it was felt that this would mesh better with her other
meds.  Our vet says thanks you for letting us know that is so effective
for controlling high fevers in ferrets!  Amazing the things one can learn
from around the world over the internet when there is need...).  Carafate
is at least 3 times a day.  Pepcid is twice a day.  Her experimental
stuff is twice a day, Cloramphenicol is twice a day so we know have
special precautions since that can cause aplastic anemia in some people.
Biaxin is twice a day.  I think that's it.  So, we have a new chart all
worked up and attached to the front of her cage.

She wil have to be weighed once a day, and temp twice a day unless it
goes way off again in either direction.

Think we're getting pretty used to this?  (Imagine a weird semi-ironic,
tired smile.)

Tonight we begin to try to adjust to new sleep schedules for the meds.

She's come close to dying several times over with this, but she isn't
interested in giving up, so we aren't either.