Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:27:41 -0800
And  A Good morning to you Bill!

you posted:
>From:    William Killian - Zen and the Art of Ferrets
>Subject: zen again...
>>From:    Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: Anon re: ferret shelters!
>>Breeding in NH is not a shelter issue-- I know of no shelters who breed
>>animals-- that is what breed rescues do--
>>Really?  Then you need to set straight the folks saying you've started
>>dabbling in it.

Bill your perception is not clear, let me help you understand.  I am a
VOLUNTEER for Ferret Wise.  Yes, I serve several functions on the non
profit tax exempt organization, sigh.  THEN I GO HOME!  Indeed the shelter
is a separarte entity and a separate space.  I HAVE A LIFE, Bill -- in that
life I have 2 breed capable jills and a v-hob, as well as two breed capable
males.  Not too many ferrets to care for properly I believe.  And believe
it or not, I ENJOY having a few healthy ferrets to care for as pets in
addition to all the sick early alter ferrets.

IS THIS A CRIME??  IS this shelter related ???  I DON'T THINK SO-- The
shelter board does not think so..and they have the best of both worlds as
they have some experience for those jills who are breed capable - may have
opyometra etc.  In this area many vets have no experience in unaltered
ferrets.  So they benefit too as they learn the distinct differences--
again I regress to educating again.  So, while you are out and about
spreading your contempt to the world-- please-- leave me out of it.  Yes, I
have had one litter of ferrets a year-- one year there were actually two
litters!!  THEY were not and ARE NOT part of Ferret Wise Shelter.  That IS
a fact!

I pay my bills ( wityh teh help of my generous husband)-- I support my
family, I even file my taxes!-- NOT THAT I SHOULD HAVE TO JUSTIFY ANYTHING
TO YOU-- or anyone else.  As you need not justify your life, right Bill?

It is obvious you have a hard time in making a distinction between shelter
work and a private life.  Some days, I agree, it gets pretty hectic-- but
you will NEVER see one of my ferret babies coming through a shelter if I
have anything at all to say or do about it.  I take full responsibility, it
is in the contract -- which is separarte from a shelter contract! -- I
KNOW the burdens shelters share-- I have no intention of adding ot it.

>>Though since the majority of folks don't really seem to be into the
>>overly numerous and overly fine distinctions between the various types of
>>ferret shelters.  I'm not going to use the silly label "breed rescue"
>>since that isn't what I know of as breed rescues.  They normally refer to
>>groups that specialize in a particular dog breed in our experience.

>There is no real reason to try and divide those of us with the same goal.
>Taking in ferrets that become homeless and try to find them a new place to
>live.  The majority of those we work with call themselves ferret shelters
>whether they happen to also breed or not.
>-bill

Bill there  IS a DIFFERENCE!!
Just ask my shelter board -- ask any humane shelter.  They do not breed
either ( as in comparison to Ferret Wise Shelter) --- breed rescues and
many folks who are experienced in adopting from humane societies, ARL's
etc. are familiar -- the goal is to place specific breeds with appropriate
families-- the breeders know the particular breed better-- so the union
works in these instances.  It is complimentary -- those breeders handle the
particular breeds of shelter turn in dogs,etc.

In my eyes and mind Bill, the comparison ( breed rescue - ferret rescue/
shelter can apply.  But it does not ALWAYS have to be so.

I am not sure why you fail to see there is a significant difference in
these facts.... but then again.......

perhaps I am off my zen.

alicia
have a wonderful week-- and a joyous holiday season--
*we will for the first time since I started volunteering for the shelter
have a christmas tree to share with grandchildren, friends and ferrets---

Oh-- the shelter has it's own tree too!  Never fear!