From:
Nancy Propper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 00:15:02 -0700
Judy,

I do not feel you are *starting up* with Ferrets Across America in
any way; your feelings and points are very valid!:) And I completely
understand, believe me.  Before I decided to take on the task of FAA
coordinator, I took into consideration many issues.  One of them being
ADV.  It is an extremely sensitive issue now and rightly so.  I rarely go
to shows anymore or take my ferrets anywhere other than the vet for fear
of ADV exposure(and are they really safe from exposure at the vet's?).

When someone requests a transport through FAA, the requirements are that
the ferret must be UTD(up to date) on vaccinations, ADV-(results must be
faxed to me BEFORE transport), must be housed in a secure pet carrier or
travel cage w/ food, water, bedding and litterbox.  I want these babies
being taken care of as if they were my own(or the driver's own)

Every transport is taken on a case by case basis.  I can refuse to
coordinate a transport for any reason, including failure to comply with
the above.  All my drivers are given full details about the ferret(s)
needing transport and then it is up to them to decide if they want to
participate.  I also screen all my drivers as well.  I think there is a
certain amount of risk, unfortunately, in everything we do, no matter how
many precautions we take.  But I'm going to do my best to make sure what
happened with those ferrets several years ago doesn't happen again

~Nancy

=====
Director/Coordinator
Ferrets Across America