From:
Rob and Kate Adlers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 18:52:01 -0400
Hey folks,

We need you to keep Buster in your thoughts.

For a while now he's had broken ligaments in one of his toes, and it's
flopped back and forth.  The vet asked us to keep an eye on it, and to
bring him in to have the floppy toe taken off if it was bothering him.
So Buster started limping, and we brought him in Wednesday for a $150 toe
removal (that's $3000 worth of toes per ferret, folks).

All went well and we brought him home, only to notice last night that his
toe-stump was inflamed.  By this morning he had what Rob calls a "Fred
Flintstone toe", so we brought him back in to the vet.  The theory this
morning was that the remaining part of the toe wasn't sewn up properly, so
at noon she took off a little more toe and sewed him back up.

By five when we went back to pick Buster up, the vet brought him out and
his entire foot had swollen up.  The vet says she's never seen anything
like it.  Right now he's staying at the vet's, and he's being given
anti-inflammatories and antibiotics via injection (vs the Clavamox drops we
were giving him after the first surgery).  She's going to call us tomorrow
and let us know how he's doing, and from there we'll decide whether he
needs to spend more time under veterinary supervision or whether he's well
enough to go home.

All this extra stuff is at the vet's expense, including the drugs, and we
trust Dr. Sawyer to take good care of him, but we're quite concerned for
our Buster-boy.  Please keep him in your thoughts this weekend.

Thanks,

Kate and Rob