From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 15:10:32 -0400
        To Chuck McCarthy - Peaches is a real intelligent and curious ferret
who seems to into most everything.  An early favorite was the 'antique' wire
frame plant stand which is about three feet high, and must look like a
gigantic water tower with leaves on top from the ground.  Not to worry
though, up she goes paw over paw along the southwest tower (the one behind
the table), right to the top.  Dirt flies quite a distance from that height.

        We found that the best solution was to get a piece of flexible
plastic about fifteen inches in diameter.  The bottom cut from a party
platter tray works just fine.  Cut it in a circle to fit just inside the
pot, and then cut a slit to the center, and cut a smaller hole to let the
trunk or stems fit through.  Install it, and then use some tape to seal the
slit back together again.  We neglected this last part, and sure enough she
found her way under it.
 -------
        To Matt Racicot - Sure, a doll house makes a good place for a
ferret.  Haven't really figured out the cage part, but we used a two story
one with four rooms, and a center entrance.  Use a scroll saw to cut out an
opening between the two bedrooms up stairs, and also turn the stairs around
so they go upstairs from back to front.  I think that we also added an extra
window or two for cross ventillation and put some regular window screen on
the inside.  We also added a large door to cover the back side which is
secured with a small bolt lock.
        At the moment there are a couple of empty ski hats in the upstairs
bed rooms, and an old wine cork and a squeeky toy downstairs.  Squeekers
used to be found there a lot last winter.  I tried closing the door in front
a couple of times when he was asleep.  He would wake up, come downstairs to
open it, and go back up again muttering to himself.
        It was about sixty five dollars as a kit quite a few years ago.
Probably another twenty or so for extras.

                                        - Bill Williamson