From:
Mary and Modern Ferret magazine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 13:52:25 -0400
Hello all!

I've *finally* gotten some time to start scanning the FML again!

Here's the story:
Knuks has this small, hard plastic soccer ball that we got out of a gumball
machine.  She loves it!  She has become quite adept at nosing it around the
room -- getting it into and out of tight spots etc.  It's very good because
she's a high-energy ferret and chasing the ball around helps to wear down
her battery.  She doesn't play with it every day -- she can go a whole week
without playing with it.  So it didn't seem unusual that she had not been
playing with it late last week.

We have a filing cabinet in a corner of the room.  There is a slight gap
behind it because of the molding at the floor.  We put some ferret tubes in
front of the gap, and none of the ferrets has shown any interest in going
back there...

Until Friday night when Knuks tried to squeeze in between the wall & the
filing cabinet.  Yikes!  I pulled her out and gave her something else to do
(she's a particularly persistent ferret).  Ten minutes later, she was back
there again.  We put her (& everyone else) away and went to bed.

Last night Knuks was back there again.  (We had forgotten that she had been
going back there -- we have a lot of other stuff going on.  But that's
another post.) This time I heard the distinct sound of her soccer ball
bouncing before I saw her back out of the gap.  So I got down on the floor
(under my desk) and took a look.  Sure enough, there was Knuks's soccer ball
stuck all the way in the corner behind the filing cabinet.  I got a ruler &
pulled out the ball.  Knuks was overjoyed & left the gap alone.

Eric & I were quite impressed that Knuks knew where she had left her soccer
ball.  We think that she is brilliant!  (Yeah, we are biased.) Are all
ferrets this smart or is ours just special?  Any comments?

On another note -- Issue #7 of Modern Ferret mailed out (third class mail)
on Friday the 20th.  Subscribers should start seeing it in the next couple
of weeks.  (We haven't gotten the copies we send to ourselved yet, so it
seems like the mail might be going a little slowly.)

That's about it for now.

--Mary & the Furry Foursome

Mary R. Shefferman, Editor
Sabrina, Ralph, Marshmallow & Knuks, Ferrets
MODERN FERRET Magazine