From:
Ilena Ayala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:56:39 -0400
Robert Dejournett wrote:
>3) The nutrient demands of the ferret would have to be the same as a human
>embroy.  I don't think this will be true.  At the molecular level, it
>involves signalling molecules from the mother to the embroy.  While we are
>very similiar genetically to ferrets and other mammals, there is a big
>compatibility problem here.

I think Ed was having one of his "silly" attacks when he posted this, but I
did read it with some interest.  (Hey, I loved the movie "Junior"!) I was
also wondering about other metabolic differences between species; body
temp, hormone levels, normal blood values, etc and what effect that could
have on a developing embryo.

When I used to work at the Bronx Zoo, one summer they did attempt to
implant embryos from Gaurs into Holstein cows.  I think they tried
implanting three; one carried to term.  The reason they did this was to
see if they could use other animals as surrogates mothers for endangered
and threatened species.  (I forget which category the Gaurs fall into.)

So, although Ed's concept of a man carrying a ferret embryo to term might
be difficult or impossible to bring to achieve, embryo transplants with
hormonal intervention as Robert described *can* concievably be utilized
among similar species, and perhaps one of the weasel family members,
perhaps even a ferret might be close enough to a black footed ferret to use
them in a breeding program.  (However as I understand it, the problem is
not one of successful breeding so much as their ability to survive after
being released.)

-Ilena Ayala