From:
Harry Silvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 22:05:38 -0500
This round of MF discussions has been interesting.

I have stated this before and will again!  The only way to stop early
neutering is to legislate it.  It would be great to have Federal Legislation
to ban the interstate shipment of ferrets under 8 weeks.  This would be
better than each state having to pass laws.  Do not expect MF or any other
business to change their ways of business, for any reason but law.

I am a bit curious in that anyone on the FML does not have a relative,
neighbor or a friend of a friend, former military buddy that works/worked
for MF.  Such a contact would shed some light on the many questions posted
here.  Does anyone here live near MF?  Maybe they could ask the right
questions in the community.  Ones like how does MF dispose 35 TONS of dead
ferrets each year.  This really bothers me, every time I think of it.

It was "Pet Store" week again.  We pop into about a dozen pet stores for our
inspection to check on the care of the ferrets.  Some know what we are up
to, others are clueless.  It was interesting when we got to the pet store in
Town Center Mall.  This is the same one I raised cain about in the fall.  So
much so they sold zero ferrets over the holidays.  The same one I put in a
formal complaint with the mall management.  They have moved the ferrets out
of the front window.  It is now rabbit time.  They were in a four sided
plastic walled cage that was high enough to keep the children from getting
to the ferrets on a movable table that that was in the caged dog area.  We
politely told them that it was dangerous for the ferrets to be around the
dogs because of cannine distemper.  We talked awhile and it became apparent
that from their prospective, the MF ferrets they get are way toooo young.
Wish I had an alternative to MF that I could give them.  They even drive 60
miles round trip to pick them up from the airport.

All of our target stores sell MF.  All except mall store take turn ins and
get them up to date on shots and in good health and then re-sell them.

For those of you in the know.  Why are MF ferrets sold by animal brokers?
Does MF ever sell direct to individual Stores?  This type of selling sort
of distances MF from transactions, as there is a middleman.

Tried yesterday's news litter.  Was disappointed as it did not last long,
and you could not scoop it.  Went back to Kaytee Kay-Kob.  At least you can
scoop it.  In the ferret room we have new corner pans.  As a printer we have
paper box tops, which are working great and after a while you dispose of
them too.  Another resource for them would be from a bottle shop.  Have
modified them also for a couple of cages.  We currently house 6 - 2 - 2 - 2.
Working on intergrating but not much headway.

Harry C. Silvis
The dozen krozzing Kennesaw Ferrets