From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 08:12:05 -0400
>From:    Cathy Jo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MF Ferrets.......
>Hello, I have been reading a here about MF ferrets.  I had always thought
>that MF ferrets were the best, top of the line.....I stand corrected.
>I tried very hard to adopt first but i tried every rescue that i could
>find

Hi--

As a person who used to adopt rescues and later started taking them in my
experience with MF ferrets is limited.  We took in a black sable boy named
Loki whose owners gave him because of severe allergies.  He was the most
sweet tempered wonderful boy I've ever had.  He was originally Daddy's
little boy, and it took him about 4 mos to adjust to us and to me.  He
spent months following around after my husband or son.  We lost him to
prostate cancer at 3 yrs old.

My other MF ferret came as a rescue from a group of ferrets I took in from
another shelter.  She was a round 2-3 yrs old and a biter.  A check up at
the vet said they were all in good health.  She and her cage mate settled
down and were adopted out earlier this week.

Another shelter operator near our area thinks the MF are more prone to
health problems and cancer in particular and tend to die younger than
ferrets from private breeders.

In the last 3 yrs we've lost 5 ferrets, Bandit to unknown causes at less
than 2 yrs old, Loki to prostate cancer, Buckshot to a fast growing cancer
at age 6 yrs, and Jasper at 3.5 yrs to adrenal cancer, and Rhia to a
combination of problems that occured after surgery and being hit with ECE.

KG