From:
Jeb Weisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1992 16:19:33 -0500
In issue 347 writes about L-Taurine revisited.  An interesting
subject, particularly as apparently a one of respondent's pet
stores won't sell a brand of ferret food because it doesn't list
L-Taurine on the label.  So, being a primary source kind of guy I thought
I'd actually call around and see what the situation was.  I'll discuss my
conversation with 8-in-1 because that is one of the 4 foods we us,
was specifically criticized here, and because they were the most
forthcoming with information.

First, I learned you can't put something on the label unless it is
specifically added as a supplement to the food.  It doesn't mean it
isn't there -- just that it has not been added separately.  Second, I
learned that 8-in-1 was developed based upon the formula in
use by an excellent breeder (they asked that I not publish the name for
though I'm sure if you call 8-in-1 they will tell you who it is).

Third, I learned that if someone provides them with legitimate scientific
data substantiating a call for changing the ingredients they will do so.
To this end, 8-in-1's fat content has been increased.  It will not be
available for some time because they are waiting for new packaging that will
accomodate the increased fat while minimizing spoilage.

Fourth, they are extremely excited about the possibility of extending
their contact with ferret owners.  They may, in fact, go on-line to provide
customer support.

Fifth, I have a call in to the directors of research for the major ferret
food producers to get an official nutrient breakdown on their foods (not
the label ingredients, but the actual contents).  I'll post them when I
receive them.

-Jeb