From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 10:39:14 -0400
Had an annoying little message which I trashed, but then thought should be
addressed.  Someone has been reading very closely and pointed out that first
I mentioned that there is research of humans considered old-old indicating
that higher D intake is needed than for younger people (with physician's
guidance, of course -- that's a given since folks here are assumed to have
common sense), then Bob pointed out that in large amounts D is very
dangerous.  The individual seems to feel that I should get angry and blast
Bob.  Why?  He's right.  Several vitamins are dangerous in too large amounts
including (but not limited to) A, D, B6, and C.  the same goes for some
other nutrients.  Hey, it's always safer to get nutrients from a varied
diet; that's published all over the place.  I just tend to assume folks are
going to use their heads, and I am sure that Bob and myriad other posters
assume the same thing.  There is nothing insulting, though, about a gentle
reminder of an important consideration and we all get them from time to
time, just as we all give them now and then, or make errors here and there.
Heck, everyone here (at the FML) -- except the ferrets -- is only human.

Nothing is wrong with sharing information; nothing is wrong with adding to
information; nothing is wrong with considerate reminders; nothing is wrong
with polite disagreements.  We all learn different things and encounter
different resources, and have our own variety of experiences so no one can
agree all the time.  That's a basic part of life, and part of the pleasure
in life is learning from others.

There is a LOT wrong with trying to cause a fight between two members; there
is a LOT wrong with calling people names; there is a LOT wrong with refusing
to accept that other opinions/experiences/information can be just as valid
as one's own; there is a LOT wrong with not letting go of any argument till
you feel you have won; there is a LOT wrong with sending nasty messages
(or -- worse -- threatening ones) or spreading rumors.  Fortunately, very,
very few people ever do such things, and most of those learn better after
getting burned because of these behaviors.  That is called "growing up" and
we all (hopefully) grow till we die.

The person who wrote to me has something to learn about Internet Manners as
does the person who wrote the name-calling insult to Bob.  I don't know if
it's the same person and I don't care.  Given that most of the people here
are able to act like civil adults I hope the few with problems in that arena
get a grip soon.

Sukie
(who would be rich if she had a nickle for every error she's ever made --
the same as everybody else would)